Mendocino Forest Products Company
The Mendocino Family of Companies (Mendocino Forest Products Company, Mendocino Redwood Company, Humboldt Redwood Company, and Allweather Wood), is a leading manufacturer and distributor of environmentally certified redwood, Douglas-fir, and preservative treated lumber products throughout California and the Western U.S. Our culture is based in environmental stewardship and community support. The company maintains Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC® C013133) certification for its forestlands, manufacturing, and distribution operations.
The Mendocino Family of Companies is looking for an experienced Log Resource Manager to join our Management Team in either Ukiah, Fort Bragg, or Scotia, CA!
As the key member of the Company’s log purchase team, the Log Resource Manager collaborates with Mill and Timberland managers to develop and oversee the annual log procurement and delivery plans for our two sawmill facilities in Ukiah and Scotia, CA. This person analyzes supply and demand, develops a procurement plan, manages and forecasts log deliveries from all sources, ensures proper log manufacturing, ensures compliance with all regulatory requirements, develops 3rd party log suppliers and customers, negotiates the purchase, sale and/or delivery of logs; maintains and manages the FSC Umbrella Certificate Program for applicable 3rd party log suppliers.
Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- In collaboration with fellow members of the log purchase team, establish an Annual Log Purchase & Sale Plan
- Determine the log requirements to be purchased from and sold to 3rd Parties for the upcoming fiscal year, detailing the species, diameter class, and corresponding volumes
- Identify prospective suppliers and consumers for the annual requirement of logs
- Cruise, inspect, and value logs from specific sellers
- Coordinate with Timberland Managers to develop a log delivery schedule
- Build positive working relationships with all 3rd Party Landowners, Log Buyers, Timber Operators and Company Managers to promote the Company as the customer/supplier of choice
- Monitor local and regional log markets to assess delivered log values and delivery costs
- Complete formal bids for log purchases, consistent with the Annual Log Purchase & Sale Plan
- Prepare Requests for Bids, as applicable for log sales, consistent with the Annual Log Purchase & Sale Plan
- Negotiate favorable terms with buyers and sellers of 3rd Party logs
- Procure and administer contracts for timber harvest on 3rd party stumpage sales
- Monitor actual log flows (shipments) from company and purchase suppliers to ensure compliance with quality requirements and agreed shipping schedules
- Work with suppliers, customers, and the Company’s Log Yard supervisors to correct log flow or quality problems
- Develop new log sources and customers to ensure a balance of supply and demand
- Establish and maintain a log quality program with all 3rd party log suppliers that will maximize sawmill throughput, overrun, and grade yield
- Maintain and manage the FSC Umbrella Program for purchased logs, as applicable, including audit preparation
- Maintain a well-organized digital file of all log purchase and sale bids, contracts, and other relevant documents
- Represent the Company on Scaling Bureau Board and other industry organizations as directed
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science degree (B. S.), Forestry preferred, from four-year, fully accredited college or university plus three years related experience and/or training; or eight years of experience or equivalent education and experience at least a portion of which directly related to the manufacture, sale or delivery of timber products
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel, and functional capability with the other applications in Microsoft Office
- Must have ability to use GPS, directional compass, and topographical maps
- Must carry a valid California driver license and have a clean DMV record.
- Must be eligible to operate company vehicles including automobiles, trucks, and/or all-terrain vehicles in accordance with company policy guidelines
- A Registered Professional Foresters license would be a decided plus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, sit, and talk or hear
- Occasionally, the employee will be required to hike is steep, densely forested terrain
- The employee is occasionally required to stand; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, color, peripheral, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus
- Position travels throughout northwest California 40% of the time
- The employee is regularly exposed to outside adverse weather and field conditions.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; and extreme heat
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate however may be exposed to noise levels requiring hearing protection
Project Management – develops project plans; coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and budget; manages project team activities.
Teamwork – balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
Professionalism – approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
Adaptability – adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Innovation – displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness; generates suggestions for improving work; develops innovative approaches and ideas; presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
Analytical Skills – effectively identifies cause and effect relationships, most significant factors affecting successful outcomes, and develops responses that move our business closer to success.
Community Involvement – ability to integrate into community and successfully represent company interests as it pertains to core job responsibilities.
- Go to www.mendoco.com / careers
- Reference Job ID 2020 – 1663 – Click to Apply
- Call Victor Balestrieri at (707) 620-2940 for more information
Equal Opportunity Employer, Valuing Diversity of our Workforce and Offering a Drug Free Workplace
To apply for this job please visit careercenter.eforester.org.