- This event has passed.
Wildfire Community Preparedness Day
May 4, 2019
Encourage local participation and work together to achieve community resilience:
You can help promote wildfire safety by encouraging residents to work together on a project or event. Participation helps create a sense of community, where neighbors begin to look out for each other. Wildfire Community Preparedness Day projects can also help strengthen relationships between residents and the local fire department, land management agencies, community leaders, and elected officials. See a list of possible projects.
Want to get started?
We have the tools to get you and your community off and running with your own project for Wildfire Community Preparedness Day:
- Download our toolkit, which includes checklists, key steps, safety tips, and much more.
- Distribute our fact sheet (PDF) to let people know more about the event.
- Download a save the date flyer. (PDF)
- NEW! Get guidelines for capturing images that tell your story (PDF).
- NEW! Use this news release template (docx) to announce your community’s participation.
- One of the criteria for becoming a Firewise USA® recognized site requires participating in an annual wildfire risk reduction project. Wildfire Community Preparedness Day is a great time to start. Contact your state liaison to begin a community wildfire risk assessment (PDF) to identify and guide your priorities and activities for Prep Day and throughout the year.