Hello Friends of the Forestry Challenge,
It’s that time of year again! Everything is on track in our 20th anniversary year’s fall event season, including some long-term stability in the form of a new 4-year CalFire Wildfire Prevention Grant. Participation numbers are looking strong and we are again expecting a record-breaking year. To see which schools are coming, you can go to our interactive map.
Approximately 25 to 30 volunteers are needed per event. The event dates for the 2023 Forestry Challenge season are:
- Shasta – September 27 – 30 at Mountain Meadows near Shingletown
- Santa Cruz– October 11 – 14 at Redwood Glen near Loma Mar
- El Dorado – October 25 – 28, at Leoni Meadows near Grizzly Flats
- San Bernardino Session 1 – November 8 – 11 at Hume SoCal near Lake Arrowhead
- San Bernardino Session 2 – November 15 – 18 at Hume SoCal near Lake Arrowhead
If you are able to spend as little as a few hours or as much as a few days, please visit the website and follow the link to the volunteer registration form at the top of the homepage. You can be reimbursed for mileage at the volunteer rate of 14 cents per mile, and meals and housing are provided. Volunteers also receive a fabulous event t-shirt! You are welcome to volunteer for any “job” that is best for your schedule and interest. A list of “jobs”, including the duties and hours for each, is linked here and also on the volunteer form.
For questions, contact Diane Dealey Neill, Executive Director Forestry Educators, Inc. at email@example.com.