Hello Friends of the Forestry Challenge,
It’s that time of year again! We are very excited to see schools lifting field trip restrictions this year and with new grant funding that is allowing us to run the program without charging registration fees, we think we’ll set a new record for attendance! Approximately 25 to 30 volunteers are needed per event. The event dates for the 2022 Forestry Challenge season are:
- Shasta – September 25 to 28 at Mountain Meadows near Shingletown (note the date shift to accommodate a mandatory teacher professional development conflict)
- Santa Cruz – October 12-15 at Redwood Glen near Loma Mar
- El Dorado – October 26-29, at Leoni Meadows near Grizzly Flats (yes, we are back at Leoni after the Caldor Fire)
- San Bernardino Session 1 – November 9-12 at Hume SoCal near Lake Arrowhead
- San Bernardino Session 2 – November 16-19 at Hume SoCal near Lake Arrowhead (so many So Cal schools want to participate that we’re adding a session)
If you are able to spend as little as a few hours or as much as a few days, please visit the website and follow the link to the volunteer registration form at the top of the homepage. You can be reimbursed for mileage at the volunteer rate of 14 cents per mile, and meals and housing are provided. Volunteers also receive a fabulous event t-shirt! You are welcome to volunteer for any “job” that is best for your schedule and interest. A list of jobs, including the duties and hours for each, is linked on the volunteer form.
I hope to hear from you in the weeks ahead!
Diane Dealey Neill
Forestry Educators Incorporated