Website The Mendocino Family of Companies
The Mendocino Family of Companies (Mendocino Forest Products Company, Mendocino Redwood Company, Humboldt Redwood Company, and Allweather Wood), is a leading manufacturer and distributor of environmentally certified redwood, Douglas-fir, and preservative treated lumber products throughout California and the Western U.S. Our culture is based in environmental stewardship and community support. The company maintains Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC® C013133) certification for its forestlands, manufacturing, and distribution operations.
Mendocino Redwood Company, LLC (MRC®) and Humboldt Redwood Company, LLC (HRC™) chose the FSC® standard for certification because we, as well as many others, believe that it is the toughest standard available for management of forests on a commercial basis. Our commitment is to manage productive timberlands with a high standard of environmental stewardship and operate a successful business.
Mendocino Redwood Company (MRC) is looking to hire Wildlife Forestry Technicians to join our Forestry team in either Fort Bragg or Ukiah, CA!
Under the direction of the Director, Forest Sciences and Lead Biologists this full-time position will survey and monitor threatened, endangered, and sensitive species associated with Timber Harvesting Plans (THPs). Under the direction of a Forester, Forester- RPF, and Area Forester, conduct field work to implement THPs and other Forest Management projects.
The key areas of focus for this position are as follows;
- Conducts Northern Spotted Owl (NSO) and other sensitive species surveys and monitoring;
- Maintains live mice and feeds live mice to NSOs;
- Database, office and field preparations;
- Works alone or in small groups in remote areas at night (i.e. conducting night surveys on foot);
- Safely navigates steep and difficult terrain, including strenuous hiking for approximately six hours per day;
- Occasionally works in inclement weather, including wet and cold conditions;
- Travels throughout the area defined in the THP and marks timber for cutting;
- Flags boundaries of the area defined in the THP;
- Records watercourse classifications and other relevant data as required to conform to the Forest Practice Rules;
- Conducts other surveys including botanical and archeological;
- Prepares field notes to use in writing the THP;
- Conducts timber cruising and performs inventory analysis;
- May administer vegetation projects including supervising planting trees;
- Administers road surveys and maintenance activities;
- May assist in logging supervision.
- With appropriate training, an individual must be capable of safely and effectively operating (run, maneuver, navigate and drive in various types of terrain) all -terrain vehicles and chainsaws in accordance with company policy guidelines.
- Must maintain and carry a valid California driver license and remain eligible and capable of operating company vehicles including automobiles, trucks and large 4-wheel drive vehicles in accordance with company policy guidelines.
- High school education required.
- Additional requirements include: course work toward a Bachelor’s degree (B.S. or B.A.) from a four-year college or university in Wildlife Biology, Forestry or Forest Science, or related field.
- Minimum of 2 months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience, including familiarity with safe capturing and handling of small mammals.
- Familiarity with concepts in forest ecology, and wildlife management techniques and security procedures.
- Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; reports potentially unsafe conditions.
- The employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles.
- The position will require night work and irregular schedule.
- This position requires the following personal protective equipment: above ankle boots, eye protection, hearing protection, leather/rubber gloves, hard hat, and ATV helmet.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of GPS, working knowledge of MS Excel, MS Word and MS Outlook, or similar software programs.
The position has travel requirements of a local nature (within 100 miles one way) usually by pickup truck.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
- The employee must be able to safely navigate steep and difficult terrain, including strenuous hiking for approximately six hours per day.
- The employee is regularly exposed to outside adverse weather and field conditions including steep and difficult terrain.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to effectively communicate with others.
- The employee is required to sit, stand, and walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl.
- Climbing and/or crawling through steep and brushy terrain may be required for one to two hours per day.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds two to three times per day.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, color, peripheral, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus; ability to identify northern California birds and trees.
- The employee must have ability to use directional compass and topographical maps, and/or GPS.
Quality of work – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
Quantity of work – Meets productivity standards; completes work in timely manner; strives to increase productivity; uses time efficiently.
Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information; communicates efficiently with supervisor and other employees.
Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization’s goals and values.
Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; reports potentially unsafe conditions.
Equal Opportunity Employer, Valuing Diversity of our Workforce and Offering a Drug Free Workplace
To apply for this job please visit careers-mfp.icims.com.