Website Great Basin Institute
The Great Basin Institute, in cooperation with the US Forest Service (USFS) Pacific Southwest Region, is recruiting Forestry Technicians to work cooperatively with USFS and GBI staff to perform vegetation management and restoration projects within forest/woodland areas. Duties will include performing standardized timber cruising, and assisting in stand exam data collection. Data are gathered using standard instruments, direct measurements, observations, and on-site inspections. Forestry Technicians will also select and mark individual trees for harvest using well defined marking guidelines and silvicultural prescriptions. Training will be provided on tree-species identification, GPS data collection, tree marking, and other project-specific tasks.
- Bachelor’s degree in Forestry, Botany or other related natural science field, with coursework and experience that demonstrate understanding of the principles of forestry;
- Familiarity with the mixed conifer forests typical of eastern California, including common plants (woody and herbaceous), wildlife, and/or geology/topography, desirable;
- Ability to understand, implement and adhere to established data collection, inventory, assessment, and monitoring protocols;
- Capacity to collect and maintain field data in an organized manner that is easily understood and accessible to other resources staff;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and orally, with a diverse audience;
- Experience using ArcGIS to create maps;
- Ability to navigate and collect data using handheld GPS units;
- Experience using a compass and topographic map to navigate;
- Possess a clean, valid, state-issued driver’s license with ability to safely operate and maintain a 4WD vehicle on and off paved roads;
- Ability to live and work in rural and remote field and office setting;
- Physically fit to work outdoors, carry up to 50 pounds of personal and/or field equipment, and withstand the rigors of a forested and/or high desert environment in all seasons;
- Willingness and ability to consistently enact high performance standards and a strong work and team ethic in support of the mission of GBI and the goals and objectives of the USFS.
One crew will be based out of Portola, CA and one crew will be based out of Quincy, CA
- $14,025 Living allowance for a 6 month term (dispersed biweekly)
- $2,960 Education award
- Paid health insurance (medical and dental)
- Housing is not provided
To apply for this job please visit crcareers.thegreatbasininstitute.org.