At Sierra Pacific Industries, we understand our greatest strength is the people who choose to build a career with us.
What does it mean to be part of the Sierra Pacific family? It means you are a valued team member and part of a growing third-generation family-owned forest products company built on hard work, innovation, and wise investments.
With over 5,000 crew members in over 30 states, Sierra Pacific offers many opportunities for personal and professional growth; from entry-level to skilled trades, from truck drivers to sales managers, from foresters to engineers – for everyone! We invite you to learn more about our history, our 2 million acres of forestlands, and our state-of-the-art wood product and window manufacturing facilities at www.spi-ind.com/Home/AboutUs.
Our Forestry Division, Burney District, has an opening for a qualified Reforestation Specialist to help manage the Company’s timberlands in Lassen, Modoc, Shasta, and Siskiyou Counties. The successful applicant will be required to work out of the District office located in Burney, CA.
About The Position
• Implement the District reforestation program to effectively establish and manage conifer plantations.
• Prepare and administer contracts for reforestation activities such as tree planting, vegetation management, site preparation, and thinning.
• Maintain documentation and district database of reforestation activities.
• Provide advice, technical support, and evaluation of proposed and ongoing project plans for silvicultural methods and techniques in planting, seeding, site preparation, timber stand improvement, and tree and shrub improvement projects.
• Plan, coordinate, and administer the technical phases of the control of animals, insects, or diseases affecting reforestation and regeneration programs.
• Inspect and monitor reforestation and stand improvement projects to evaluate subsequent field performance, and recommend appropriate corrective action as necessary.
• Develop and maintain good relationships with Federal and State agencies, local officials, private organizations, and neighboring landowners while representing the interests of the Company.
• Perform miscellaneous forestry-related project work requiring demanding physical activity.
• BS in Forestry, Natural Resources or Agriculture is preferred.
• A California Pest Control Advisors (PCA) license with weed and vertebrate pest categories, or the ability to pass the PCA exam within six months, is preferred.
• Knowledge of reforestation activities and Sierra Nevada forest types, as well as California Department of Pesticide Regulation (DPR) laws related to the use of herbicides is preferred.
• Ability to hike in extremely remote mountainous regions using maps, compass or GPS.
• Excellent communication skills, self-motivation, and strong work ethic.
• Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and GIS-based software programs.
• Ability to work both independently and as a “team” member.
• Current valid drivers’ license and the ability to operate four-wheel drive vehicle and safely negotiate steep mountainous roads.
Why Join Our Team?
Because this is more than an invitation, it’s a commitment to offer opportunities for personal and professional growth to everyone! We ask people to grow with us and make the company even better.
We provide an excellent benefit package including a full Health Benefits Plan with low cost premiums, a 401(k) with Company Match, additional Retirement Contributions, and company paid Life Insurance. In addition, for over 38 years, the Sierra Pacific Foundation has provided scholarships to help the children of our crew members with education expenses. Each year, we give an average of $500,000 in scholarships.
How To Apply
If you are qualified and would like to join our team, please send a cover letter referencing this position and a resume by June 24, 2019 to:
Sierra Pacific Industries
Paul Niemer, Human Resources
PO Box 496011
Redding, CA 96049