Website Mendocino Redwood Company
Mendocino and Humboldt Redwood Companies, industry leaders in sustainable forest management, seek a forest management professional to lead our Forestry department in the management and oversight of approximately 115,000 acres of sustainably certified redwood forest. This key leadership position is responsible to develop and implement annual and long-term plans, forecasts and schedules; acquire all local, state and federal permits; and coordinate and acquire contracts to effectively and efficiently achieve our land management objectives. Works closely with Science Managers in collection of necessary scientific and monitoring information; Works with Log Resource Manager to ensure uniform log deliveries and log quality. This is an excellent opportunity to be a key leader practicing forestry with a high degree of environmental stewardship while operating a successful business.
- Manage a staff of professional foresters. This will include hiring, employee development, performance evaluations and promotional decisions.
- Responsibilities include but are not limited to interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Ensures company policies are adhered to across the spectrum of operations.
- Prepare and implement annual plans for Timber Harvest Plan Preparation; Timber Harvest Contracting; Road Construction and Maintenance; Vegetation Management and Reforestation.
- Prepare annual forecasts for log deliveries, operational expenses, and capital investments.
- Obtain and administer all necessary permits needed for implementation of land management plans.
- Keep accurate and complete records of land management activities.
- Represent company interests with local agencies and community organizations.
- Responsible for procuring logging contractors, administering the contract and ensuring satisfactory completion.
- Oversees preparation, development, submittal, and review Timber Harvest Plans (THP);
- Administers the Timber Harvest Plan, which may include conducting field surveys such as water course classification (including fishery and amphibian surveys), raptor surveys, botanical surveys, spotted owl surveys and archaeological surveys;
- Supervises crew(s) who may cruise timber stands, mark and flag, and road layout;
- Reviews road construction, road restoration and maintenance projects in the field;
- Negotiates and prepares all relevant Forestry Management Contracts including but not limited to; logging and roads; vegetation management, THP prep, etc.
- Coordinates and supervises grant projects on the assigned tract as applicable;
- Manages security patrolman on all security investigation needs, documents findings and submits to the proper authorities;
- Bachelor’s degree (B. S.) in Forestry or closely related field from a four-year college or university; and minimum of five years related experience and/or training in the field of forestry actively engaged in forestland management activities.
- This position requires a Registered Professional Foresters license or equivalent demonstration of experience/knowledge.
- To perform this position successfully, an individual should have knowledge of spatial, spreadsheet and word processing software.
- Must maintain a valid California Driver’s License and remain eligible to operate a standard 4-wheel drive company vehicle under company policy guidelines.
- Ability to drive an all-terrain vehicle and operate in a safe and effective manner a gasoline chainsaw, after appropriate training.
- Ability to work alone in remote areas and navigate using a map and compass
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions and may be required to walk, hike or drive into the field.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and various types of logging equipment.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate and may involve extensive period of sitting at a desk working on computer as well.
- This position may require the following equipment when in the field: eye protection, hearing protection, leather/rubber gloves, safety shoes and a hard hat.
Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; gives and welcomes feedback’ contributes to building a positive team spirit; supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
Oral and Written Communication
Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
Planning/Organizing and Project Management
Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Sets goals and objectives; Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget; Maintains accurate and complete records of activities. Manages project team activities.
Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others.
Effectively resolves conflict in a professional, non-confrontational manner while maintaining company interests; Communicates concerns to company leadership. Promotes open door policy.
To learn more and apply: Click here
To apply for this job please visit careers-mfp.icims.com.