Website Spatial Informatics Group
Forest Carbon Analyst
Spatial Informatic Group, LLC was founded in 1998 and is a group of applied thinkers with expertise in environmental fields ranging from landscape ecology, wildlife ecology, ecosystem services valuation, natural hazards, forestry, and natural resource economics. Our group combines spatial analytics with ecological, social and economic sciences to understand the effects of management and policy choices on the short and long-term stability of ecosystems. We translate data into knowledge that can be used to inform decisions.
SIG works at all levels of a project. Depending on a client’s needs, SIG can perform discrete tasks, or manage the whole project. We work with clients to answer simple to complex monitoring and research questions using a multidisciplinary and collaborative approach supported by advanced analysis techniques. We have a demonstrated track record of delivering high-quality products within client driven timetables.
SIGs Forest Carbon Offset Team brings top level expertise to forest carbon quantification, forest modeling, project support, monitoring and policy development. Our Forest Carbon Offset Team has helped landowners in the development of over 13.5 million carbon offset credits on 650,000 acres under the American Carbon Registry (ACR), Climate Action Reserve (CAR), California Air Resources Board (ARB) and Verified Carbon Standard (VCS).
SIG is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to diversity which includes the recognition that our success is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of women and men of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. We encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, or other status protected by law.
As a Forest Carbon Analyst, you will need to have the following:
- Experience working with forest inventory data of a variety of sizes, formats, and inventory designs to extract meaningful information (e.g., sampling designs, estimates of stocking by volume). Forest cruising experience is preferred.
- Experience projecting forest inventory data using the Forest Vegetation Simulator (FVS). Experience with Suppose, SVS and FVS online is preferred.
- Interpreting model output to forecast forest carbon offset, timberland management outcomes, and other ecosystem services. Experience presenting and discussing model results with local foresters and land managers is preferred.
- Familiarity with a wide variety of forest tree species and forest stand development characteristics. Knowledge of typical stocking and growth metrics and magnitudes preferred.
- Competence with Arc-GIS’s analytical tools. Experience with the python language preferred.
- Experience managing multiple projects and working with clients and contractors in a concise and friendly manner to produce high quality deliverables and meet project timelines. Applicants with published articles preferred.
Work Location and Schedule
- We encourage flexibility in work location (our employees typical work from home or a co-working space) and schedule. This is a full-time position; however, specific workdays and hours are flexible.
- 25% or less – Travel may be required to visit project sites and attend meetings and may require overnight stays up to a week at a time.
Desired Qualifications and Experience
- Experience using growth and yield models (e.g., FVS).
- Experience using Microsoft Access SQL or other SQL implementation.
- Experience using GIS software such as ArcGIS or QGIS.
- Experience with the U.S. Forest Services’ Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) Database and field methodology.
- Familiarity/experience with a wide variety of forest sampling designs. Strong quantitative and statistical skills are required.
- Familiarity (or ability to rapidly become familiar) with standards, methods, and protocols adopted by American Carbon Registry, California Air Resources Board – Compliance Offset Program, Climate Action Reserve, and Verified Carbon Standard.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to meet timelines and manage multiple projects.
- Ability to cordially interact with clients and staff.
- A minimum of 3 years of related work experience.
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. in forestry, forest mensuration, biometrics, statistics, mathematics, or related discipline.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary with health care, dental, vision, life insurance, paid holidays, retirement savings (401k), and paid time off benefits.
- Ability to work from home with a flexible work schedule.
- To apply to this position, please submit your resume (required) and cover letter (required) as separate documents to Tim Kramer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Application is open until filled.
To apply for this job please visit sig-gis.com.